Monday, May 19, 2008

Take That Qdoba!


I'm in love with mexican food. If I could only eat one food for the rest of my life it would definitely be a chicken enchilada. There is a fantastic mexican restaurant a short 10 minute walk from my apartment (Forest Cafe) but after a really long day in the lab, and when no food is waiting for me at home, I give in and stop at Qdoba. The thing that keeps me coming back is their poblano pesto burrito. That heavenly green sauce really hits the spot. But I want to know exactly what I'm eating which prompted me to make my own poblano pesto.

Poblano peppers are very mild and similar to a green pepper, but with a less "watery" flavor in my opinion. Don't worry, this pesto isn't spicy! Look for them in your grocery store, they're about 3 inches wide and 4-5 inches long. You do have to roast the peppers, but don't let that stop you, it's a walk in the park. Just follow the instructions and the pictures.

Poblano Pesto

This pesto has a light Parmesan flavor and makes a wonderful alternative (or companion) to guacamole. Serve with chips, toss with cooked vegetables, or use in place of a pasta sauce. My personal favorite is to cook up some brown rice pasta, add a grilled chicken breast and then mix with 1/4 c. poblano pesto. This is one versatile dip/sauce/side!

4 poblano chile peppers
3/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 c. fresh cilantro
1/4 c. chopped walnuts
3/4 c. olive oil
3 garlic cloves
3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 tsp. salt

Set oven to broil.

Wash peppers, slice in half (length wise) and remove seeds/white membrane (pepper on the left is before, pepper on the right is after).


Place peppers (cut side down) on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Place 5-7 inches below broiler (either gas or electric) for 5-8 minutes or until they have serious 3rd degree burns (see picture). It's ok, you want the skins to turn black...but if they start to smoke pull 'em out! Transfer immediately to a zip-top plastic bag; seal and let stand 10 minutes (this will steam the skins aiding in their removal).


Remover peppers from plastic bag and peel off skins. Slice peeled peppers into 1/4 inch wide strips.

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides. This pesto will store in the refrigerator for up to a week...but I predict you'll finish eating it long before then.

1 comment:

G said...

OHHH! I've had their pesto before. Yummy. Try one of their salads sometime. I find them to be refreshing with a ton of flavor.