Friday, May 23, 2008

From the Great State of Washington!


After being shipped 3,000 miles across the country I don't know if it still qualifies as "fresh" but Whole Foods this week was offering rhubarb from Washington. I've never cooked with it before but I'm a sucker for all things WA and decided to pick some up. Rhubarb's distinct flavor makes your mouth pucker, just like a sour patch kid, and hence people usually add loads of sugar to it. Well I wanted to give it some sweetness without all the refined sugar so I turned my eyes to good old orange juice and made a rhubarb compote.

Keeping with the theme of multitasking, I ate this compote a few different ways.

1. For those who like to say "whoo--eee." I put a scoop of the compote on plain yogurt and added fresh blackberries. You could also throw in some slivered almonds or granola for crunch. If you'd like something with a little less "zing" then try vanilla yogurt.



2. For those who like it sweet. Slice up 3 cups of fresh strawberries, add compote and let refrigerate for 4 hours (or overnight). Spoon into bowls and top with fresh whipped creme (I made my whipped creme with agave nectar, it was awesome and low-glycemic...but as usual, use in moderation).


Rhubarb Compote

This rhubarb will really make your taste buds come alive, it's not for the faint of heart.

1 lb. rhubarb, rinsed, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces (just like slicing celery)
3/4 c. orange juice
1 1/2 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. lemon zest
1/4 c. lemon juice
1 tsp fresh grated ginger (optional)


Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan and simmer on low until reduced in volume by approximately half *, stirring occasionally. Let cool and refrigerate. Will store for up to 1 week in refrigerator.

* I forget exactly how long this takes but about 30-45 minutes. The rhubarb should be soft and squishy when you stir it with a spoon, and the compote should have a uniform light pink color (see above picture with yogurt).

No comments: